Thursday, October 4, 2012

Pop Icons



Pop Culture Icons
The pop icons I chose were Diana, The Princess of Wales, Cinderella and Elvis Presley.  Diana captivated the world with her beauty, sense of style and grace.  She loved her little boys Prince William and Prince Harry, she was never afraid to show it. I also chose Cinderella, she had the mean step sisters and step mother, but she was always kind to animals.  I also respected Elvis Presley for the respect and love that he showed his mother.
I have great respect for Diana, The Princess of Whales she was a great pioneer and activist of human rights. Diana lent her time and efforts to charities such as AIDS, Landmine removal and children.   After her death her legacy still continues to live on in over 100 charities that she named in her will (Moore, 2007).   They called her the” people’s Princesses”.  I remember the night that Princess Diana was killed I felt such a great sadness, this beautiful women who had done so much for charities was now dead.  What a sad time it was.
Even though Cinderella was a fictional character, what little girl didn’t want her own Fairy Godmother to dress her in a beautiful gown?  Cinderella always spoke in a gentle voice no matter how bad she was treated, and she was able to befriend mice.   I always have loved animals, but I’m not always able to speak in a kind voice.  This is why I chose Cinderella.
I remember sitting outside on the hood of my Uncle’s car when the announcer on the radio said “that Elvis had died” we were shocked.  Elvis’s music was played on the radio and we watched his movies.  When I remember Elvis I think of how close he was to his mother Gladys.  Elvis Aaron Presley was born on January 8, 1935, he also had a stillborn identical twin named Jesse Garon.  Gladys was never able to have any more children. Glays was a very protective mother and at her death Elvis was inconsolable (Australia, 2010).

Australie, E. (2010, January 24) Vernon and Gladys Presley. Retrieved on October 3, 2012, from http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/biography/gladys_and_vernon_presley.shtml


Moore, J (2007). Legacy of a Princess.  Retrieved on October 3, 2012, from Princesshttp://prtl.uhcl.edu/portal/page/portal/USN/TheSignal/Life?articleId=434

1 comment:

  1. Elvis is not only iconic, he has become almost legendary. Years after his death, there are still people that believe Elvis lives on. Elvis impersonators are still common and his music and movies remain a part of pop culture.

    ReplyDelete